Medical and Travel Insurance for International Learners
The purpose of this policy is to ensure the safety and well-being of international learners studying at Otago Polytechnic Limited (Ltd) in New Zealand, in accordance with the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 and Immigration New Zealand visa requirements.
- Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 and all subsequent amendments
- Immigration NZ study visa requirements
1. As specified in Outcome 3 of the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021, all international learners are required to have appropriate and current Medical and Travel Insurance for the duration of their planned period of study and approved visa.
2. Otago Polytechnic Ltd’s preferred provider of medical and travel insurance is Uni-Care and will arrange a policy called New Zealand Student Plan with Uni-Care and include this cost with the tuition fee.
2.1. International learners can choose their insurance provider as long as the insurance policy complies with the minimum standards of Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.
2.2. The insurance fee will be refunded if the learner arranges their own insurance which complies with the minimum code requirements.
3. When a learner chooses their own insurance provider, learners must provide Otago Polytechnic Ltd with the policy details in English refer to clause 5.
Recording of Policy Details:
4. For each international learner, Otago Polytechnic Ltd will record the:
a. Name of the Insurer
b. Policy number
c. Policy start and end dates
Verification of Insurance Policies for learners choosing their own insurer:
5. As part of the verification process Otago Polytechnic Ltd will ensure that:
a. The Insurer/re-insurer is a reputable and established company with substantial experience in the Travel Insurance business and has a credit rating no lower than A from Standard & Poor’s, or B+ from A M Best.
b. The Insurer is able to provide emergency 24–hour, 7 days per week cover.
c. Learners have a “certificate of currency” and policy wording from the Insurance Company stating that the learner has purchased the cover for the duration of the planned period of study. The certificate and policy working must also detail medical sums insured, repatriation benefits, etc.
6. Otago Polytechnic Limited will arrange for the renewal of Uni-Care-insured learners.
7. For all other learners, prior to the expiry of their medical and travel insurance policy, Otago Polytechnic Ltd will issue a written reminder to the learner advising them that their policy renewal must be completed. Failure to renew their insurance will mean that re-enrolment cannot take place.
Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2022