Programme Entry, Continuation and Exclusion
To outline policy and delegations relating to the entry, continuation, and exclusion of learners to Otago Polytechnic Limited (Ltd) programmes.
- Selection and entry to programmes
1.1 Learners are eligible to be admitted to programmes where they meet all entry requirements. Learners may be refused entry if:
- they do not meet the published entry requirements.
- they have criminal convictions that would prevent them from meeting the requirements of an external registration or licensing body or meeting the requirements for work placements.
- they do not meet immigration and visa
1.2 Heads of College have delegated authority to manage learner entry into programmes of study according to the entry criteria in the approved programme documents.
1.3. In all cases when an applicant is refused entry to a programme of study they will be referred to Learner Success for career guidance and study support to ensure their next application is successful.
2.1 Learners may be refused further enrolment in a programme of study or course/s if they do not make satisfactory progress and may be refused entry to a higher-level programme of study if they do not demonstrate success within a lower-level programme of study/course/s.
2.2 Principles for Determining Unsatisfactory Progress which may lead to cancellation of enrolment include the following:
- 2.2.1 A learner who does not make sufficient progress in the first semester of a programme of study/course/s (if required to attend and participate, handing in scheduled assessments, and passing sufficient assessments to successfully complete the course/s).
- 2.2.2 A learner who does not pass at least half of the credits in which the learner was enrolled within one (1) academic year (this has implications for the continuation of any learner’s loan and/or allowances, (if applicable).
- 2.2.3 A learner who enrolled in the same course/s on three (3) occasions and has failed that course/s unless the programme document stipulates variance.
- 2.2.4 A learner who has not met specified attendance requirements.
2.3 The Head of College manages learner progress; cancellation of enrolment and exclusion requires approval from the Chief Executive or Te Kaihāpai.
2.4 Without exception all learners (referred to in Clause 2) will be provided with Learner Success career guidance and support to ensure they are assisted in continuing their current study or in the future study.
- Temporary Suspensions
3.1 If a learner's performance or participation in any off-site excursion, practical, or work experience/placement is, unsatisfactory for whatever reason, Otago Polytechnic Limited may temporarily prevent that learner from attending an off-site excursion, practical, or work experience/placement, and Otago Polytechnic Limited’s relevant procedures will be instigated. Other reasons for temporary suspensions are detailed in the Learner Rights and Responsibilities
4.1 Learners may be refused entry to a programme of study/course/s if they have previously been refused entry or excluded from an Otago Polytechnic Limited programme of study/course/s or have been refused entry to a programme of study/course/s by another education provider or have been excluded or expelled by any other education provider for any reason.
- 4.1.1 Any learner who has been deemed by Otago Polytechnic Limited to have made unsatisfactory academic progress may be excluded from the programme of study/course/s and not permitted to re-enrol without the permission of Otago Polytechnic Limited.
- 4.1.2 Any excluded learner who wishes to apply for permission to re-enrol shall seek approval in writing to submit an application to enrol in further study to Otago Polytechnic Limited Academic Registry before the official enrolment date in the programme of study/course/s for which they seek admission.
- 4.1.3 Otago Polytechnic Limited shall make the decision on whether any particular learner who has been excluded may be permitted to re-enrol and may impose conditions on the re-enrolment to help ensure the learner has a reasonable chance of success in the programme of study/course/s.
- 4.1.4 When applying for re-enrolment, the learner will need to satisfy Otago Polytechnic Limited that, as a result of study or other activity in the intervening period, they have made efforts to improve their chances of success in subsequent study.
4.2 All exclusions must be authorised by the Chief Executive or Te Kaihāpai.
Dr. Megan Gibbons
Dated: 16 May 2022
Policy Version: V2; Previously Coded: AP0521
Learner Discipline Policy
Delegation of Procedures
Heads of College are delegated the authority to manage processes for selection and entry.
Only the Chief Executive or Te Kaihāpai has the authority to exclude learners.