Whiria te tākata
Weave the people together
Teaching Excellence Symposium
29-30 June 2023
This inaugural Teaching Excellence symposium has five key themes, drawn from research by Goode (2021)1, in which she explored the trajectories and professional practice of Tertiary Teaching Excellence awardees. See Keys to Teaching Excellence diagram here.
The five themes are:
- Building relationships (e.g. relationships with learners, colleagues, industry and networks)
- Focusing on learners (e.g. engaging, empowering and encouraging learners)
- Facilitating learning (e.g. sharing stories, co-constructing knowledge, and crafting facilitation skills)
- Creating the right environment (e.g. making learning enjoyable, enabling learners to feel valued and safe)
- Reflecting on practice (e.g. taking risks, staying current, and being authentic)
We are interested in presentations which focus on these themes in learning and teaching, and/or supporting learning.
Submissions should contribute to and inform current learning and teaching practices that support Teaching Excellence in adult education. Shared and co-presented submissions are welcome.
The symposium will be hosted online and on site at Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin. Attendance is free. Register here.
Abstract to provide the following information:
- Please send a 300-word abstract that outlines the planned content of your presentation and a 50 to 100-word bio.
- Indicate whether your preferred format is a 20-minute presentation or a 45-minute workshop.
- Use academic referencing (APA 7) where appropriate.
- Presenters will be invited to submit a full written paper to an issue of ‘Scope: Learning and Teaching’ for publication in 2024.
- Please note: All sessions must be presented in PowerPoint.
- Abstract submissions should be sent in electronic format (e.g. Word document) for review and potential inclusion to Rhina.Chan@op.ac.nz by 13 March 2023.
- On your cover page include: Name of presenter(s),
contact email address and contact telephone number.
- Include a short biography of no more than 50 to100-words for each presenter.
- Please name your file with your surname(s) and title of presentation/workshop.
All submissions will be peer reviewed. You will be advised of the outcome of your submission by 3 April 2023.
- Goode, C. (2021). An excellent adventure: Investigating the stories of Tertiary Teaching Excellence awardees [Doctoral thesis, Otago Polytechnic]. https://hdl.handle.net/10652/5480
Published on 14 Feb 2023
Orderdate: 14 Feb 2023
Expiry: 28 Mar 2023