What is Pōpopo?
Pōpopo turns the idea of 'waste' on its head. We are transforming the problem of organic waste into an opportunity for ecological restoration, food production, and hands-on education in sustainable practice.
Pōpopo is being built by our whole OP community; students, staff and friendly neighbours alike.
- Transform "waste" materials into a resource. Our waste feeds soils, animals, plants, and people.
- Develop a facility capable of processing all organic materials produced by Otago Polytechnic
- Offer hands-on learning experiences for our community to learn what regenerative waste management looks like in their home, work or other contexts
- Students and staff across OP get to apply their work and learning to Pōpopo
- Develop a thriving model of a community composting site.
What can Pōpopo Offer?
- Project-based work for students
- Volunteer opportunities
- Opportunity to contribute to your campus
- Public Composting Workshops
- Applied sustainability case study
- Professional Development projects for staff
What does Pōpopo need?
- Student engagement: Collaborators and learners
- Public engagement: Workshops and volunteers
- Collaborations! Designers, researchers, volunteers
- Anyone interested in sustainability and regenerative practice
Who to contact
For more information about Pōpopo - Wormporium, contact Finn.Boyle@op.ac.nz