- Up to 17 weeks full-time; part-time options available
- February and July
- Until start date
Dunedin22 February 2021
Dunedin19 July 2021
Want to improve your academic English Language skills?
This Certificate is for intermediate English speakers who want to do further English Language or subject study in an academic context. It is a nationally-recognised qualification.
This programme can lead to academic study at Otago Polytechnic or you can use it to transfer to other study institutes in New Zealand.
When you study English with us you will:
- learn English from teachers who are very patient and understanding
- work in small groups to practise your speaking
- meet native speakers and listen to guest speakers
- gain study skills through self-directed learning and group work.
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (General) (Level 3) or equivalent.
- We will test you and place you at the right level when you arrive, even if you have a proficiency assessment result (e.g. IELTS).
- International students need a visa to study with us for more than three months.
Please note: It is possible that you will not be enrolled into the Certificate level you apply for.
You will need to buy the course textbooks. These will be available from your lecturer for a discounted price of $100.00.
What you will learn
When you complete this programme, you will be able to:
- understand the main ideas and key supporting details of moderately complex spoken and written information of familiar topics
- take part effectively in sustained, spoken, academic conversation
- write detailed, well-developed and moderately complex academic texts on familiar topics.
- 20-22 hours per week in class, guided by your teacher
- 10-14 hours per week in self-directed study
Student Loans and Allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances). Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit www.studylink.govt.nz