- Up to 17 weeks full-time; part-time options available
- February and July
Dunedin22 February 2021
Dunedin19 July 2021
Dunedin21 February 2022
Want to improve your English skills?
Study English at Otago Polytechnic to prepare for further study, make new friends and experience New Zealand culture.
When you study with us you will:
- learn English from teachers who are very patient and understanding.
- work in small groups to practise your speaking.
- meet native speakers and listen to guest speakers.
- gain study skills through self-directed learning and group work.
This Certificate is for speakers who can already use intermediate-level English in everyday settings but want to improve their English for study or work. It is a nationally-recognised qualification. It can lead to academic study at Otago Polytechnic or you can use it to transfer to other study institutes in New Zealand.
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 2) or equivalent.
- You will be tested and placed at the right level when you arrive.
- If you plan to study with us for more than three months, international students will need a visa.
What you will learn
When you complete this programme you will be able to:
- understand the main points and details of spoken and written information on familiar topics
- speak with confidence about familiar topics
- write about familiar topics in a way that is easy to understand.
- 22 hours a week in class, guided by your teacher
- 10-14 hours a week for self-directed study
You will need to buy the course textbook at the start of your course. This will be available from your lecturer for a discounted price of $60.00.
You can enrol in other certificate programmes, but we recommend that you complete New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4).
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.