If you’re interested in working with people from diverse cultural groups and promoting New Zealand's tourist attractions, then studying tourism at Otago Polytechnic may be for you.
Careers in tourism include
- Events management
- Conference/expo/exhibition management
- Customer service and sales roles
- Guiding tours
- Activity promotion
- i-Site employee
- Travel agents
- Working in the accommodation industry
Otago Polytechnic offers two undergraduate tourism options. The level 4 New Zealand Certificate in Tourism (Operations) and the level 5 New Zealand Diploma in Tourism and Travel. The job opportunities for both these programs are the same. However, the Level 5 diploma shows an employer that you can study at a higher level which makes you more employable. Having a level 5 diploma also teaches you the skills to become employed in a management role.
Gaining a New Zealand Certificate in Tourism (level 4) (Operations) at Otago Polytechnic includes:
- Approximately 21 hours of face to face learning a week
- 14 hours of student managed learning
- Visiting tourism businesses related to accommodation, transportation, attractions and activities
Gaining a New Zealand Diploma in Tourism and Travel (Level 5) at Otago Polytechnic includes:
- Learning business management skills
- Approximately 12 hours of face to face learning a week
- Approximately 25 hours of student managed learning hours a week
- 30 hours of authentic work experience spread throughout the year
- 3 day, 2 night long educational field trip to an iconic New Zealand tourism destination
Types of assessments involved
Assessments include Business Reports, Role Plays, Tour Guiding, Essays and Case Studies. There are formal exams for the level 4 program.
Click HERE for a full list of entry requirements into the New Zealand Diploma in Tourism and Travel (Level 5) program. If you do not have the necessary entry requirements for the level five diploma, then you can apply for the New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4) Tourism. Completing this level 4 programme provides you access into the level 5 programme.
Tourism is a popular study path of choice for a diverse range of individuals. Each year several students who don't have English as their first language complete a tourism course with us! While it may mean you have to spend a bit more time understanding some of the concepts, it is totally do able and our friendly, approachable staff are here to help you along the way.
English Language requirements
- IELTS 5.5 for Level 4 and Diploma; IELTS 6.0 for Bachelor degree
- NZCEL Level 3 Applied (Academic) for Certificates and Diploma
- NZCEL Level 4 Academic for Bachelor degree and Graduate Diploma