If you love the thought of working outdoors, we've got a programme for you!
General and Amenity Horticulture | Nursery and Fruit Production | Land Skills | Sustainable Practice
Horticulturists help with the design, production and maintenance of plants, food and flower crops, gardens and landscapes.
This global industry is extremely diverse and you could specialise in a number of areas including fruit production, amenity horticulture (care, maintenance and growth of ornamental plantings) or nursery production (propagating and growing plants for sale).
Horticulturists with a qualification in any specialist field are in demand throughout New Zealand.
- Commercial and Retail Nursery Worker
- Park Supervisor/Manager
- Orchardist or Viticulturist
- Irrigation Technician
- Airport Biosecurity Worker
- Conservation Worker
- Contracts Manager
- Vineyard Supervisor/Manager
- Horticulture-related Sales Consultant
Arborists / Tree Surgeons are in demand for their ability to care for, and maintain, trees. Arboriculture is a specialised field involving pruning, felling, transplanting and maintaining the health of trees and shrubs.
- Demand is high for arborist services and employment opportunities exist within City or District council parks and gardens, with private companies or as a contract climber.
- With experience, you could think about self-employment or tree care consultancy roles.