As a preceptor you will have free online access to preceptorship resources. This series of resources are designed to assist midwives who are precepting student midwives, new graduate midwives, or those who have recently returned to practice, or have completed the competence programme for overseas midwives. This resource comprises of seven individual modules, each with an online assessment. These resources have been approved by the Midwifery Council.
You will cover:
- What is Preceptorship?
- Communication Skills Refresher
- Establshing Relationships
- Feedback and Debriefing
- Conflict Resolution
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Storytelling and Reflective Practice
Upon completion of these free online courses you may wish to undertake the Otago Polytechnics's Postgraduate course in Preceptorship, as the work you have completed online will contribute to the Postgraduate course.
Midwifery Practice Topics
Short courses on various Midwifery Practice topics, each course comprises a research article and a ten question multichoice quiz. You can answer the quiz as many times as you like and once you have achieved 80% you will receive a certificate of achievement by email. These resources have been approved by the Midwifery Council.
You will cover:
- Second Stage Of Labour
- Assessing Labour Progress
- Counselling Women With Unintended Pregnancies
- Bedsharing With Babies
Start studing these free online courses now!
To access the course material you just need to follow these simple steps:
- You will need to create an account in Moodle - our student online learning platform. To do this, go to https://moodle.op.ac.nz/login/signup.php. If you have previously studied one of our courses on Moodle then skip these set-up steps and go straight to step 3. You will need to enter your existing username & password.
- Once you have completed the steps on the Moodle page please check your email. You will receive an email regarding your request for a Moodle account and will be asked to follow a link to confirm your registration.
- Once you have confirmed your Moodle registration you will be taken to a Courses page (http://moodle.op.ac.nz/course/index.php). Scroll down until you find Midwifery.
- Please note that when logging in you will need to click on the 'other users' tab option on the right hand side not the staff and students tab.
- On the Midwifery page, scroll down and click on the Online Resources for Registered Midwives.
- Click on the course you want - either Resources for Preceptors or Midwifery Practice Topics
- You should be prompted by a 'enroll me in this course' alert. Please click on this. Start working through the modules!
- If you have any technical issues with Moodle, please contact our IT support on 0800 POLY IT (0800 766 948) or email email@example.com
- On completion print your certificate for your portfolio.