What will I learn?
Enhance your administrative skills.
This qualification will provide you with that next level of administrative skill and expertise to provide excellent service to your internal and external clients. You will become confident at identifying and developing solutions to common problems within the administrative function of an entity, ensuring smooth systems and processes are in place.
Gain an enhanced understanding of finance and stats.
This qualification will provide you with the skills to understand the technologies available to help you deliver on statistical and financial data within the business. This is an important component of every organisation and it needs to be right.
Enhance your communication skills.
Learn how to communicate confidently and effectively in a clear and concise way with all your customers, using the right terminology, tone and providing the required level of service.
Discover how to present documents professionally.
Professional document presentation is a skill to be mastered and you will do just that by completing this qualification. Learn how to use the tools of the trade to deliver high quality documents that meet expectations.
- Open entry.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.0 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
COVID-19 vaccination information
As this programme is delivered fully online, you do not need to provide us with a My Vaccine Pass.
- You will need to provide us with a valid My Vaccine Pass if you want to visit an Otago Polytechnic site for any reason while you are studying with us (e.g. meetings, events, presentations) or attend graduation in person at the end of this programme.
- You do not need to provide a valid My Vaccine Pass if you are attending on campus health services (e.g. student health, Kowhai Centre).
- In exceptional circumstances, exemptions may be granted to this. You can find out more about this in our vaccination policy. If you think you have grounds to be exempt from our vaccination requirements, please email Covidemail@example.com
This programme is made up of four courses with a total of 600 learning hours. This breaks down to approximately 30 hours per week if you're studying full-time and 15 hours per week if you're studying part-time.
Depending on your previous academic online experience this may vary a little.
|The Business Workplace||4||15||150|
|Financial and Data Management||4||15||150|
|Executive Business Administration||4||15||150|
1. The Business Workplace
To enable students to work in a professional business environment who can sustain and support administrative systems and processes in an ethical, social and culturally inclusive environment.
- Provide a range of administrative services to meet organisational and operational requirements using digital technologies
- Comply with legislation and internal policies and procedures of the business entity.
- Communicate and engage with business entity stakeholders in a professional, ethical and culturally appropriate manner.
2. Professional Administrator
The aim of this course is to enable students to respond to stakeholder requirements through utilising effective customer service strategies and creating complex documents.
- Use digital technologies to create complex documents in response to stakeholder requirements.
- Collaborate and work effectively with others toward achieving team objectives.
- Provide customer service strategies and apply problem solving techniques to meet stakeholder expectations in an ethically and socially appropriate manner.
3. Financial and Data Management
To enable students to process statistical data and perform financial calculations to meet the requirements of the business entity.
- Use relevant digital technologies and devices to produce financial information and manage data for business purposes.
- Use relevant digital technologies to process data, carry out financial calculations and maintain operational records.
- Comply with internal policies and procedures in accordance with New Zealand legislation.
4. Executive Business Administration
To enable students to, implement, support and maintain administrative services and processes within the business entity in a culturally inclusive environment.
- Work independently to perform administration services to support and contribute to the workplace
- Maintain administrative systems and processes within a business entity and suggest recommendations for improvement.
- Comply with company policies and procedures regarding socially and culturally appropriate behaviour in the workplace.
- Select from a range of digital technologies to create and present complex documents in response to stakeholder requirements.
Further study options
Upon successful completion of this programme, you may choose to further your learning and progress to the New Zealand Certificate in Business (Administration and Technology) (Level 5) and then the New Zealand Diploma in Business (Accounting), (Administration and Technology) or (Leadership and Management), or other business qualifications at degree level.
Prefer to study face-to-face? No problem. We offer the New Zealand Diploma in Business (Level 5) (Accounting) or (Leadership and Management) on campus in Dunedin.
Student loans and allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
Recognition of prior learning
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. www.capablenz.ac.nz