- 20 weeks full-time | 40 weeks part-time
Delivered through the eCampus. Online activities - readings, discussion forums, research tasks and fact finding. Study will be mainly self-directed and is flexible to suit your needs.
Online (TANZ)2 January 2021
Delivered online through eCampus NZ
Do you want to learn how to manage an effective team to achieve organisational goals?
This fully online qualification will give you the skills and knowledge to work as a first line manager with responsibility for the performance of others in a business entity.
Please note: Learners under the age of 18 cannot apply for this programme.
What will I learn?
Technical knowledge and skills
- Manage work flows in an operational context to achieve team objectives
- Assess against agreed criteria and respond appropriately to achieve operational objectives.
- Motivate and involve a team to achieve the team’s objectives and contribute to the entity’s objectives
- Communicate to develop relationships with team members and stakeholders
- Manage relationships within a team to sustain a productive workplace environment
- Promote an inclusive environment to value diversity for positive performance for the entity.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour, in a socially and culturally appropriate manner in leading a team.
- Adapt leadership styles for effectiveness in different environments
- Comply with internal policies, legislation and other external requirements for the entity.
- 40 credits at NCEA Level 1, including 10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits OR New Zealand Certificate in Business (Introduction to Team Leadership) (Level 3).
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
Skills for tertiary study (including literacy and numeracy) may be acquired through study, work and/or life experience. Students who can demonstrate these skills may be approved for alternative entry. CPIT literacy and numeracy assessments are available.
COVID-19 vaccination information
As this programme is delivered fully online, you do not need to provide us with a My Vaccine Pass.
- You will need to provide us with a valid My Vaccine Pass if you want to visit an Otago Polytechnic site for any reason while you are studying with us (e.g. meetings, events, presentations) or attend graduation in person at the end of this programme.
- You do not need to provide a valid My Vaccine Pass if you are attending on campus health services (e.g. student health, Kowhai Centre).
- In exceptional circumstances, exemptions may be granted to this. You can find out more about this in our vaccination policy. If you think you have grounds to be exempt from our vaccination requirements, please email Covidemail@example.com
You can find more information about our vaccination requirements here. And, if you still have further questions, please visit our FAQs page which you can find here.
Pathways into the programme
This programme is made up of four courses with a total of 600 learning hours. This breaks down to approximately 30 hours per week if you're studying full-time and 15 hours per week if you're studying part-time.
Depending on your previous academic online experience this may vary a little.
|Team Management and Motivation||4||15||150|
|Achieving Team Objectives||4||15||150|
|Performance and Variance Management||4||15||150|
1. Effective Team Performance
To enable students to work cooperatively and effectively in a team and achieve objectives.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Work cooperatively and effectively
- Develop and contribute to achievement of objectives within an entity and teams
2. Team Management and Motivation
To enable students to manage and to motivate teams and team members to sustain a positive and productive workplace environment.
- Apply appropriate conflict resolution strategies to a conflict situation
- Describe and apply team motivational theory and strategies
- Describe and comply with internal policies and external requirements
3. Achieving Team Objectives
To enable students to promote an inclusive working environment and to assess against agreed criteria to achieve the entity's objectives.
- Participate actively in a team to achieve objectives
- Assess team objectives against operational objectives
- Develop positive workplace relationships by applying professional and ethical behaviour in a socially and culturally appropriate manner in leading a team
4. Performance and Variance Management
To enable students to effectively manage workflows and performance manage a team to respond to the achievement of operational objectives.
- Develop a plan of action in response to a variation
- Allocate, manage and evaluate workflows and resources to achieve team and individual objectives
- Describe, manage and apply performance management strategies
Further study options
Graduates of this qualification may progress to:
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (with strands in Accounting, Administration and Technology, Leadership and Management, and Project Management) (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (with strands in Accounting, Administration and Technology, Leadership and Management, and Māori Business and Management) (Level 6)
- other relevant industry qualifications.
Career opportunities for graduates
Graduates of this qualification will have the skills and knowledge to work as a first line manager with responsibility for the performance of others, in a business entity.
Student loans and allowances
Full-time domestic students of this programme are eligible for student loans and allowances (dependent on age and financial circumstances.) Please contact Studylink for additional information. Phone 0800 88 99 00 or visit: www.studylink.govt.nz
Recognition of prior learning
If you already have extensive knowledge and skills gained from practical experience in this area, enquire about our recognition of prior learning process at Capable NZ. You may have already gained credits towards this qualification in the course of your life. www.capablenz.ac.nz