Those under 20
- NCEA Level 2 in Maths, English, and Physics or General Science, or New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3), or equivalent.
- Special entry: In exceptional circumstances, an applicant under the age of 20 who does not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme where they supply evidence of their ability to succeed on the programme.
Those 20 and over
- No academic entry requirements.
Skills for tertiary study (including literacy and numeracy) may be acquired through study, work and/or life experience. Students who can demonstrate these skills may be approved for alternative entry. Literacy and numeracy assessments are available.
To successfully complete this programme, you must be employed in the electrical industry at the time of study. You must enter a three-way training agreement between yourself, your employer and Otago Polytechnic.
English Language requirements
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
You will be expected to attend a weekly, three-hour hour night class during term time. There will also be an additional two-week block courses per year during your apprenticeship.
Additional self-directed study hours (of up to nine hours per week) may be required to complete this qualification.
Further study options
To expand your knowledge and career options, undertake our New Zealand Diploma in Engineering (Electrical).
For more information
- For all enquiries, please email AlliedTrades@op.ac.nz