Student insurance

Medical and Travel Insurance

All international students visiting New Zealand are required to have appropriate and up-to-date medical and travel insurance coverage as a condition of their student visa. This can be purchased through Otago Polytechnic or from an approved insurance company.

Otago Polytechnic recommends Southern Cross Travel Insurance, which covers two different plans for international students providing cover for medical expenses, emergency travel expenses, and personal belongings. Please visit this page for more detailed information.

If you need to buy an insurance plan, renew your insurance plan, or file an insurance claim, please visit The Registry Team on Level 1.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors. If you are injured in an accident, please file a claim with ACC before you file a claim with your medical and travel insurance.

You can find out more information about ACC on its website.