- One year full-time; part-time not available
- Until start date
Dunedin22 February 20215 July 2021 - 16 July 2021
19 April 2021 - 30 April 2021
4 October 2021 - 15 October 2021
Dunedin21 February 2022
Incorporating the International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC) qualifications
Beauty therapy roles are varied, creative and in high demand. Employers are seeking trained therapists with the ability to walk into a new job and to work with clients straight away.
Our top-quality facilities and products are recognised as some of the best in the industry. Study with leading tutors and learn through a combination of practical and theoretical activities. You will have the opportunity to learn the latest emerging trends and techniques, work with real clients, use an online booking system and gain hands-on/practical in-clinic experience. A wide variety of guest speakers such as spa managers, appearance medicine specialists and cosmetic representatives give you an insight into products, technologies and the specific qualities that employers are looking for in employees.
International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC) qualifications are optional in this Certificate. If you choose to complete the exam, your qualifications will be recognised by employers and clients internationally. ITEC is an international examination board, operating in over 38 countries worldwide and their qualifications are supported by industry and easily transportable both nationally and internationally.
At the end of this programme you will meet the requirements to become a Registered New Zealand Beauty Therapist.
- Registered New Zealand beauty therapist
- Cosmetic representative
- Mobile beauty therapist
What will this programme cover?
- Anatomy and physiology
- Facial treatments
- Make-up services
- Cosmetic enhancements
- Massage treatments
- Professional practice
- Nail services
- Waxing services
Pathway into this programme
Our bridging to beauty certificate, the New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3) provides the perfect pathway into this Level 4 programme.
- You must be at least 18 years old by the time the programme ends in November.
- Applicants under 20 must have:
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3) Beauty context OR
- NCEA Level 2 (English and Science credits preferred) OR
- New Zealand Certificate in Makeup and Skin Care (Introduction) (Level 3),
- OR equivalent.
- In exceptional circumstances, applicants under 20 who do not meet the academic entry requirements may be granted entry to the programme.
- There are no minimum entry requirements for those over 20.
- If English is not your first language, you must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years), OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
If you need to improve your English Language skills, we offer a wide range of English programmes.
If you don’t have the entry requirements above, talk to us about whether you have the equivalent skills and knowledge or to determine if this is the right programme for you.
Please note: this programme is subject to minimum numbers.
You must supply your academic records, along with certified copies of proof of identity and proof of residency (where appropriate).
- External examination fees
- Beauty therapist uniform.
Further study options
- New Zealand Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation Massage (Level 5)
These qualifications can lead to self-employment as a therapist or to a career as a beauty clinic manager/owner.
Student loans and allowances
Student loans and allowances are for domestic students only. For information about student loans and allowances please visit the Studylink website. It is important to apply for your student loan/allowance at the same time as you apply for this programme, due to the length of time Studylink take to process. Loan/allowance applications can be cancelled at any time if you decide to withdraw your programme application or if it is unsuccessful.