Dunedin and Cromwell
One day a week for the school year.
Beauty therapy roles are varied, creative and in demand.
It's a career that can take you around the world. If you are interested in beauty, make up, and fashion, and enjoy helping people to feel their best, a career in beauty therapy could be for you.
This course will enable you to apply for the New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy Level 4 at Otago Polytechnic (as long as you are 18, or turning 18, in the year that you will be studying it).
And the great news is, you won't then need to do a Level 3 bridging programme first!
What will I do?
- You will learn about basic skin care and skin health, and some human biology to help you with this.
- Learn make up techniques, and practice applying makeup, including historical and creative make up.
- Carry out the main beauty salon procedures, under supervision. These may include facials, manicures, pedicures, brow shaping and tinting.
- You will have an opportunity to use, and learn about professional beauty products, and how to recommend them to clients.
- Interact and communicate with clients in a professional way, and discover how a professional salon works.
What could I do next?
Study for the New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy (Level 4).
Please note: You will need to be 18 or turning 18 the year that you study this.
Where could this take me?
- Trainee Beautician
- Beauty Sales Representative
- Health Resort Employee
- Make-up for TV/Movie Industry/Fashion/Events
- Make-up Artist
- Beauty Business Owner
- Massage Therapist
- Image Consultant
Unit standards covered in this course
The unit standards covered in our Beauty Therapy course have not yet been decided for 2022, but there will be a minimum of 24 units available, and they will be at level 2 or 3. They will cover make up and skin care, retail skills, and customer service.
We are doing our best to ensure that this information is accurate. However, there may be some content changes to our programmes, and all our programmes will run subject to demand and capacity.